If you have tried anything on this site please leave a comment and let me know.

The more I hear from you the better! I love hearing how these activities are working in your home/daycare or nursery!
I get lots of emails about what you are doing, just leave a comment so everyone can read it too!


Monday, October 19, 2009

Aboriginal Clap Sticks

Here's a twist on the rhythm sticks that Australian aborigines use in ceremonial dances: decorated paint stirrers that let your kid be a one-man percussion section, clapping along to his favorite music.

What you need: Paint Stirrers and paint and Q-tips.
Time needed: About 2 to 3 Hours. To make a set, paint one side and all the edges of the 4 sticks with a base color, then let them dry.

2. Next, use other colors to paint on decorative bands and squiggles. Use Q-Tips to add dot accents.
My sister and I used the back side of the paintbrush to scrape the paint and make cool designs too.

3. Once all the paint has dried, clap them together and dance around.


I found the story of Dot painting online:
The indigenous people of Australia, or Aborigines, use dot painting as a form of storytelling. With dots of paint traditionally made from natural pigments, they create patterns and images of plants and animals that represent their culture's creation myths, which date back tens of thousands of years.

1 comment:

  1. I tried this project on Halloween weekend and made my daughter a princess wand. I cut out cardboard paper stars and then wraped them in foil and pasted it on the top. It turned out really well. This was very creative. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

this content is copyrighted NO RIGHT CLICK!

..

Protected by CopyrightSpot MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected