boiling hot water
1. Form your pipe cleaners into a snowflake shape or whatever shape you desire, while you boil water.
2. Add water to your mason jars.
3. Mix in borax. Stir it but don't worry if it isn't completely dissolved.
4. Attach your pipe cleaner shape to the string and hang it from the pen/pencil while submerging it in your jar.
5. Let it sit overnight, or do this at breakfast and check on it obsessively all day and right before bed pull them out. (that is what my 5 year old did.) We made a bunch of these - I had about 15 different mason jars lined up they looked like this...
but imagine my whole table lined up!
Here are the finished products....